Sunday, December 12, 2010

# WILD STORIES of ADVENTURE # ... First Greek Expedition

http://www.symigreece.com/

        I'd just quit my long term ... err,  everything in London!  Job,  apartment,  car and drinking spots!

        I had saved quite a few "air miles" up,  enough for 2 people to go somewhere.  So I called my mate Chris back in Somerset.  "Lets do a cheapy!  Where shall we go?"

        Chris suggested the island of Rhodes in Greece.  I'd never been to Greece before.  It sounded good.

        We like to do things on the cheap when we go somewhere.  ( The winter before we hitch hiked from Somerset all the way to the Cairngorm Mountains in the middle of Scotland,  in 17 hours!  But that's a story for later ). 


        I booked the tickets.  We were going for 2 weeks with not a lot of money in our pockets.  We were doing a cheapy! 

        We arrived at Rhodes airport and then jumped on a bus to the town center.  But on the way there we saw lots of uninhabited beaches everywhere so we got off the bus and camped on the beach for the first night.  The next morning Chris and I had an argument over how much of his sun protector I had used.

        We went our separate ways!!   :))

        Later that day I met Chris in the town center eating Greek kebabs down by the beach.  We were friends again.  Those kebabs were delicious!  Every time I go to Rhodes it's my first stop.  The old Greek guy cooks the meat to perfection! 

        Chris had rented a motorbike.  An hour later I had one too.  We had them for a whole week!  We cruised around the beaches and parts of Rhodes for the rest of the day,  stopping now and then to cool down for a swim.  It was hot!  The next day we took our bikes across to the next island on the ferry.  To get to the island of Symi wasn't expensive but the motorbike had taxed my cash severely!!  :))  I began to worry!  What was I going to do in a couple of days when my money runs out!?  :))

        On the island of Symi we were drinking at an outdoor bar.  We got talking to 2 English chicks.  Our accommodation was set ... we were staying with them,  for that night anyway!  :))  Saved some cash there ... and had a good time!!

        The next day I got talking to a local Greek guy by the name of Manos.  He said he had a small tourist shop that was closed right now because he didn't have any staff.  He asked if I was interested. 

        I worked in the small shop until the day before I had to go back to England!!  Manos paid me cash everyday,  it was enough to pay for a room to stay in and a good meal in the evening!  ... with beer of course  :))  I supported Chris with a few beers too.  It was certainly turning out to be a good "cheapy" trip that's for sure :)) 

        The shop was set right by the harbour just where the ferries park.  It was easy to sell sponges,  Greek classical prints and hand made shell characters.  4 large ferries came into the harbour everyday and they were always chock-a-block with tourists.  Also an advantage was getting a great tan out in the sun all day!!  :))   Towards the end of my Greek employment,  Manos asked if I was interested in working for the whole season next year!?    ...  my reply was "No worries mate,  I'll be here!!"

        Chris and I flew back to England content with such an adventure done on the cheap!  :))  I was looking forward to next year's summer on the island of Symi in Greece!!  ;)

        Because I was officially unemployed now,  I had the rest of the European summer ahead of me before heading to Australia for the summer season.  Time to bum around for a few months and brush up on some hitch hiking skills!!  :))

        As a good friend of mine in England once said ... " The world is our Lobster,  enjoy it!"

                                       ... cheers to travelling and discovering  :))

No comments:

Post a Comment