Sunday, November 21, 2010

# WILD STORIES of ADVENTURE # ... England to France, or just the South Part of England

     I'd only been in England for 3 years.  School was settled,  had some work and saved some money.  I was only 16,  and the thought of so many countries close by was a huge temptation. 

     There was a long weekend coming up soon.  I would have Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday off.  I entertained the idea of going on a short break to somewhere.  Paris came to mind.

     The next day I went to a travel agent and asked about short breaks to Paris.

     It was possible to go for 3 nights at a very affordable price.  It was good for my budget so I booked.

     I went home and told mum.  She asked if the travel agent had talked about visas.  I couldn't remember if the agent had or not,  I was too excited about travelling somewhere!

     Anyway, ... what is a visa?  I remember thinking later!?

     Thursday night came and I packed a bag for my first ever alone adventure.  Excited was the beginning of my feelings.  I had no idea about France when I went to school in Australia.  We were taught German at school.  At school in England I was taught French and German.  My French teacher was really cool and even though I entered the class lacking the knowledge of French as a new student from overseas,  it was still fun learning about France and it's language.

     Off I went.

     My first leg was to catch a train to London.

     The next leg of the journey was done by catching the bus from London to Dover's ferry terminal.  I remember the bus seemed to take forever and was very uneventful.

     Eventually arriving at Dover,  I looked around at the largeness of the ferry port thinking ... WOW!!, and just across the water are all those countries packed together ,  so close,  so many people and they all speak different languages!

     At the immigration counter the passport checker asked for my passport.  I only had one, it was Australian.  He took a look through a few pages.  ( I didn't understand why,  I hadn't been anywhere so there were no stamps to look at ).  He asked where I lived and where were my parents.  I told him that we moved to England a few years ago and they were back in Somerset.  I'm off for a Frenching good time!!  :))    He waved me through.  Though I was confused by the expression on his face.

     Out on the ferry deck in the very fresh air and feeling the wind gusting,  I couldn't help but keep looking for the French coast line.

                           There it is!!

     Little did I know at that time that I would be spending so much time over there in the future.

     Excellent!!  I'd arrived.  It was almost time for the sun to head off for the day.  I wanted to get to Paris soon so I could look around before it got dark. Then hop into a cosy French hotel bed for the night.  Tomorrow would be a busy day getting to know Paris by myself.

     Another passport checker.  Man, these guys are everywhere!

     I hand over my passport.  He also starts flicking through the pages.  ( why do they keep doing that!?  I haven't been anywhere! )  He starts asking questions. 

     " Where is your French visa? "

     " Where do you live? "

     "Where are you coming from? "

     I told him the same stuff I told the guy in England.

     He hands me back my passport and says ...

     " You can not enter France.  You have no visa! "

     In astonishment I explain that I had a hotel waiting for me in Paris and I was only going to be here for 3 days. 

     " You do not have a visa.  You can not enter France!  You have to go back to England! "

     I felt strange.  I was so looking forward to this trip.  I waited for the next ferry back to England ... starring at the French coast line through the window of the French ferry terminal!

     I had to go back to England!!  What a bummer!!

     Back at the Dover ferry terminal I found the same bus driver that had brought me here just a few hours ago.  I explained what had happened and asked if he could he take me back to London.  He obliged and I waited inside the bus for my return home.

     Back in London again.  It was getting late and I needed to catch a train soon or I'd be spending the night in London instead of Paris!  About half way through the train ride back I fell asleep.  Fast asleep!!

     I woke up 2 stations past my stop!

     It was now 1am.  I found out the next train wouldn't be for another couple of hours.  SHIT!!  I had done a couple of hitch hikes before but wasn't game enough to do a middle of the night hitch,  especially having no map and having absolutely no idea where I was. 

     I hung around.

     The train pulled in.  Being that time of the morning there weren't many people on the train so I had a big empty space all to myself. 

     I fell asleep!

     It had been a long day!!

     I woke up just before London!!  What a laugh.  :))  I couldn't believe it! 

     I went straight out and bought a nice big breakfast,  I was starving!  Most of the day was spent looking at the sights London has to offer.  I went back to the station AGAIN and caught the train home AGAIN!!  This time I didn't fall asleep and made it back home with out any dramas.  Mum and Dad were surprised to see me back so soon.  I told them what had happened and would have been back the same day if I hadn't done an up and back and back and back again tour of the south of England a couple of times!!

    
                      ... a couple of months later Dad gave me my new British passport.  No visa problems from now on   :))

No comments:

Post a Comment