Wednesday, February 29, 2012

# OUT & ABOUT in JAPAN # ... a VERY old looking fish!!


As I walked along the street at the Tsukiji Fish Markets one fine sunny morning recently, I stopped at a shop in front of me displaying an odd looking piece of wood!!  I got closer.  The wood seems to be some sort of carving.  Maybe the guy, who is standing beside the shop is a wood carver.  I get even closer.  But I was curious as to why a wood carver would have a shop in a fish market?!?!?



There were various shades of black, fawn and an awful looking brown, almost like an old dog poo.  The owner of the shop approached me and asked if I would like to try some of the wood!! 

''Errr, looks like it's already been cooked mate''



The shop owner beckons me to a table next to a wall in the shop and picks up a small paper cup.  He scoops up a spoon of flaky stuff, adds some soy sauce and then puts in some hot water.  He passes it to me and gestures to drink it.

I do.  It tastes good!!  It tastes fishy and has a distinctly oriental flavour with the soy sauce.

My Japanese is quite passable now so I understood that he was telling me the wood looking stuff is actually a very dried fish.  The fish is shaved into very fine flakes and is used for cooking, whether in a soup or used as a stock.  The name of the wood - errr, dried fish - is Katsuoboshi ... I think that's what he said!!



You can find out more info by touring the Tsukiji Fish Markets with me through WAY OFF TRACK,  just click the link at the top of this blog  :))

It's a very cool place to hang out and discover!!

No comments:

Post a Comment